Restasis is an eye drop medication used to treat chronic dry eye syndrome, a permanent condition caused by aging, medication, contact lenses, and other factors. The medication helps treat chronic dry eye syndrome by increasing tear production.
Restasis has been widely successful due in part to the lack of competing generic products. According to a class action lawsuit against Allergan, this was intentional.
Plaintiffs in the Restasis class action lawsuit claim Allergan obtained an illegal monopoly on the eyedrop medication through anti-competitive tactics.
The Class includes consumers and third-party payors (entities such as employers or insurers). Specifically, the Class includes:
1. Consumers: all persons who, from May 1, 2015 through July 31, 2021, purchased Restasis® in a pharmacy for their own use, or received Restasis® by mail-order prescription for their own use, in any of the following states: Arizona, Arkansas,* California, Colorado, the District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
2. Third-party payors: all entities that, from May 1, 2015 through July 31, 2021, paid for and/or provided reimbursement for some or all of the purchase price for Restasis® for use by their members, employees, insureds, participants, or beneficiaries, where such persons purchased the drug in a pharmacy or received Restasis® by mail-order prescription, in the following states: Arizona, Arkansas*, California, Colorado, the District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
Allergan hasn’t admitted any wrongdoing but agreed to resolve the claims against it with a $29.99 million settlement.
Under the Restasis price settlement terms, Class Members can file a claim form and collect a cash payment.
Payment amounts will vary depending on how many units each Class Member purchased, the price they paid for Restasis, and other factors. However, according to the settlement website, each Class Member will receive at least $15.
To benefit from the Restasis settlement, Class Members must submit a valid claim form by Aug. 11, 2022.
Consumer: If possible, submit any of the following:
- Unique patient identification number or code
- NDC Number
- Fill date or date of service
- State of service
- Amount billed, not including any dispensing fee
- Amount paid by the third-party payor, net of co‐pays, deductibles, and co‐insurance
- A notation identifying claims for which, as of the date in item above, you were not providing prescription drug coverage, and, instead, acted in an administrative services only or third‐party administrator capacity.